Thursday 17 December 2015

Mattie Kiely

Mattie Kiely occupies a unique place in the history of Cork city life. The proprietor of a small chip shop, tucked away in an unassuming side street, Mattie served a congregation of disparate, and desperate souls. Builders, Bankers, Schoolboys, Dockers, O.A.Ps, Winos, the Rich, the Poor, the Sober and the Drunk, he served them all. Mattie’s menu was short and to the point. Burgers, Sausages, or fish (No Chicken). Plain, with Chips or in a Supper. Portions were small but the prices were too and this made it a favourite for those on a limited budget or appetite. Stories abound about the shop and the man, and his retirement was a terrible shock to his customers and friends.
Mick Lynch 2009

Lyrics:

Mattie Kiely
On a cold December evening
It’s Cork it’s mid December
I was waiting for the girlfriend
And I hoped that she’d remember
Conversations from the night before
The both of us were pissed
We said we’d meet at 5 O’clock
Or was that 5, a 6?

I though I’d got a fifty
When the clock read half past five
When my mobile rung
It was your one
She was rough but still alive
I’ve only just got up she said
My eyebrows must get lined
I’ll meet you there at half past 8
No, make that 8 a 9

As I stood there in the shelter
At the front of Roches Stores
Perused the permutations
And beneath my breath I swore
I hadn’t had by breakfast
I hadn’t had my tea
I was feeling numb, I was feeling glum
When a thought occurred to me.

Chorus
Just go around the corner
To a place where you’ll get fed
Lay out some dosh
For some handsome nosh
By my stomach I got led
He’s may not as tall as….
Be he look a lot like Mylie
Ooooh, Mattie Kiely


I reached my destination
Took my hat off, stepped inside
The temperature was toasted
The aroma deeply fried
The atmosphere had a hint of beer
The light a battered hue
I took my place
In the space prescribed
And turned to see the view

A section of humanity
Predominantly older
In a line at ease with their mushy peas
Their chips, their Coca Colas
For those who chose the cutlery
A plastic fork at most
Their tablecloth a single page
Of last week’s racing post

Chorus
So come on down to Maylor Street
To a place where you’ll get fed
Lay out some dosh
For some princely nosh
By your stomach
You’ll get led
He shuts up shop at 9 O’clock
He lives the life of Reilly
Oh Oh Oh Mattie Kiely

An order quickly taken
Our hero moves with speed
It’s passed along with assured aplomb
So the process can proceed
Another thirty seconds and
Your table’s deftly laid
And with no delay I can safely say
Your bill is tilled and paid

Along the polished counter top
Your elbow slowly slides
As the tension mounts
You do all but count
The amount of broken tiles
A wave of paranoia makes
You think you’ve been ignored
A later ordered burger
Disappearing out the door

Chorus
And up the length of Maylor Street
From a place where you’ll get fed
Lay out some dosh
For some princely nosh
By your stomach you’ll get led
In unemployed society
He’s spoken of quite highly
Oh oh oh Mattie Kiely

You raise your hand in protest
As our hero re-appears
But you bite your tongue
Cos the fare he’s brung
Is the best you’ve seen in years
Drenched in mushy peas
On top there floats in a crispy coat
Fresh fish from Irish seas

To finish off this master piece
A healthy dose of salt
Shook in and drenched with vinegar
The clear stuff or the malt
Your lips are licked
Your chip is picked
You spear it with your fork
It’s raised aloft and a bite bit off
Of the finest chip in Cork
The Finest chip in Cork

Chorus
But no more down on Maylor Street
Is a place where you’ll get fed
Can’t spend your dosh
On some princely nosh
By your stomach
Won’t be led
He shut the shop in February
Quietly and shyly
Oh oh oh Mattie Kiely


No comments:

Post a Comment